Tuesday 22 October 2013

Deconstruction Brief.

With graduation projects and briefs coming up soon our tutors have been setting up workshops to help us get a better understanding of briefs and to help us dissect them and come up with some ideas for the current projects were doing.
Last week in uni we were given a talk on deconstructive designs and about dissecting briefs and pulling out the most important pieces of information.  In the session we were given large scale prints of the 5 grad projects (which I will expand on later) and told to dissect them, so we cut them up, and stuck them together in odd deconstructive designs.

After the session we ask told to go away and design our own deconstruction poster of the brief we had chosen for our graduation projects, picking out what we thought we the important parts of the brief and to experiment with typography, layout, space and composition.








This is something that I haven't really done much of before so It was good to get in practice with this as the graduation brief I have chosen might be quite typography based.


For me this workshop was actually quite useful, I'm very much one of those people who loves working with grid structures, especially 3 column grid structures so it was a challenge to try and get myself to ignore that mindset and be a little bit more creative and try to use the space in a more informal way and like I said, typography isn't something that I'm particularly great at so I found it useful to help me get into going though the process.

Anyway this was my final design;

For a first attempt at a deconstructionist design  I was actually quite happy with the outcome, it was interesting to mess around with font sizes and angles and to produce something that didn't necessarily have to make sense or look clean cut and perfect. Although I really like working with grid structures and having things very strategically placed, I actually really like the look of deconstructive design and in my design the use of extra large font sizes and colour. This is something that I think I'm going to keep working on and could actually turn out to be really useful when it comes to my graduation project.

No comments:

Post a Comment