Sunday 5 May 2013

The Self Directed Brief//Pt 1.

I'm coming to the last few weeks of my second year at university, a terrifying thing which in my opinion has come far too quickly and the last couple of projects of the year. Along with an essay we have a Self directed project, this enabling us to come up with our own brief tackling any design problem we wish. I decided to take to take the root of trying to get freshers more involved, to encourage them to explore their new environment and to hopefully make the experience of starting over in a new place easier.
At first I decided upon producing a leaflet/booklet noting down the top x amount of places in Sheffield that a fresher should visit. After spending a lot of weeks researching into brochures, maps and guides I decided to expand my idea slightly, I didn't want to just produce something that would be useful to Sheffield students but to actually help freshers all over the UK. Obviously this would be quite hard to produce so I opted for a website. I created an organisation which would be run by students for students.
The idea of the website is for say a selected amount of students from all the universities across the UK to submit places, locations to promote. With this idea I was thinking on a large scale and quite big, if this were to actually become a fully functioning project I didn't want to just limit myself to places I knew. This project would of course need a team and would take a while before it would eventually go live but I thought the idea was good. There doesn't seem to be anything on the market like this, aimed at freshers.

Here are a few logo names and designs that I had been working on over the course of this project before finally coming up with the name Who, What, Where? / W,W,W?


The bottom images being the final logos.
I started the naming process by first noting down words that I associated with exploring, adventure etc and worked from there. It such a simple process to go through but it really helped me to narrow it down and dismiss some of the terrible names. I wanted to keep the logo design quite simple and something that would look good on leaflets, the web and also printed items such as badges and tshirts. I eventually ended up using simple shapes. I wanted to make sure that the logo would work in black and white before I added any colours to it, which it did and used bright encouraging colours with have remained a theme throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment